.........................................................

My life, my loves, my inspirations...and my journey to achieve a healthful life.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Back to Basics

I recently decided to take charge of my health, and the most vital tool that I have utilized in doing so, is changing my diet.

Now when I say "diet" I really don't mean it in the sense that, I am on a diet and trying to lose weight.  To me, "diet" is just a word meaning...what foods I am eating...my diet :)

So looking back over the past several months, I can't say that my diet was that great. I've been a pretty healthy eater for awhile, but when life got busy with mommy duties, I noticed that I was eating less and less.  More snacking than anything. No breakfast, a couple bites here, a couple bites there, dinner.  The no breakfast thing was a real killer for me, especially because I was usually someone who never missed breakfast! The main reason for that was because I would wake up with no appetite.  I would try to shove food in my mouth and make myself eat and would literally gag on it.  It didn't take much of that before I knew I needed to make some changes.  I was highly aware that my hormones were playing a big part in my feeling crappy.  And not eating a balanced diet made me feel even crappier.  And of course there was little time or energy for any type of fitness in my life, which I missed greatly.  Life has changed so much over the last couple of years, and I was struggling with knowing just what to do to help me out of my slump.
I contacted a friend who is a Beachbody coach about getting some Shakeology.  She had been kind enough to send me some samples a good while back, so I knew I liked the way they tasted (speaking as a chocolate addict, let me tell you, those chocolate shakes are yummy!! I messaged her and told her that I wanting to get a full order of Shakeology because I was wanting something easy, and nutritious that I could have for breakfast.  I told her how I thought it would help me with the whole breakfast issue and help me with my fitness goals.  We got to talking about exactly what my goals were. I said that I was not wanting to lose any weight (I had pretty much already achieved that), but I just wanted to tone up and maybe even gain because I desperately wanted to get my strength and muscle back!  She then told me about the 21 Day Fix, which I had seen her post about, but wasn't sure what it was.
After hearing about it, it sounded like exactly what I needed! 

Following this program has helped me take charge of my diet and has helped guide me through meal planning.  I am not new to clean eating, but it had been awhile since I had completely embraced it, like I am now.  I eat about 6 meals a day (some are snacks).  There are color coded containers that help you measure out your correct portions.  And let me just say, that by measuring out my portions, I am now eating way more that I was before.  That really helped me see the error of my ways.  Not only that, but it has enabled me to keep track of what I've eaten, and what I need to eat more of.  For example, for me, I am supposed to eat 4 of the green (think veggies) containers daily. By keeping track, I can see what I need to eat at each of my meals, to meet my target for each of the groups!  It is really very simple, and very basic.  Another big thing is water intake.  I am not great at this, but I am getting better!  Overall I am eating more fruits and veggies, whole grains, have cut back on dairy, and for flavor I use spices, juices and homemade dressings, rather than store bought ones.  And I have been drinking Shakeology, usually in the mornings.  It's such a quick and easy start to my day!
I have been eating some pretty yummy foods, and it is amazing how good food can taste with just a few simple ingredients...like I said, back to basics. :)

The fitness portion of the program has been another great tool in itself.
It's pretty easy to fit the 30-minute workouts into my day.. usually at Harper's nap time :)
And I saw definite results after the 21 days!!  I've always had a pretty flat stomach (besides when I was prego LOL) but I don't think I have ever has this much definition in my ab muscles!!

I did lose 5 pounds by the end of the fix, but that is what I achieved just from eating healthy and working out.  I didn't figure a calorie deficit into my diet, like the fix calls for if you are wanting to achieve weight loss.  I also lost a little from my hips and waistline.  Ultimately, the way I am feeling is what has me happy that I decided to start this journey in the first place.  It has helped me learn to hold myself accountable.  Making sure that I am eating right, eating frequently enough, and eating a well balanced diet.  And staying active is just as important.  I have more energy, a clearer head, I even noticed more color in my face a few days in. I'm pretty pale so I never thought much of my ghostly appearance.  Then after making changes in my diet, I noticed that I wasn't as white as a sheet. Diet people!  It is a great feeling to know that the changes I made, have had such a positive affect on my whole body.

Mostly I did this for me and my health, but I couldn't help but think of Harper and how I wanted to be a good role model for her.  Eating clean and healthy is a part of our life, and she will grow up to embrace it.  It was sad that I was always making sure Harper was eating well, but I wasn't doing the same for myself.  Now with the changes I have made, I am on the right track, and I intend to stay this way!  Brady is interested in making changes to his health as well, so I am happy to have the knowledge I do, and I will be helping him with some of his own goals! :)
 
 
During this journey, I, along with other women, posted daily to a group on Facebook. 
Here are some of my photos, mostly of food :)

 
Chicken nachos with lots of veggies, and yogurt in place of sour cream.
I can barely tell the difference!!


This is oatmeal with chocolate Shakeology added, and a banana.
This tasted like chocolate cake!!





Lunch- 1 green baby spring mix, 1 yellow quinoa, 1 red lemon pepper chicken, dressing is lemon juice with some grated ginger. (Made with cold chicken and quinoa.)
And 1 orange of raw sunflower seeds. And a lot of water with some mint leaves added!




Two of my meals from one day..Pumpkin Pie ShakeO and then a breakfast sandwich, with some green :)





 


 
 




chicken fajitas, with whole grain quinoa. Topped with peppers, onions, baby spinach, and a little cheese and yogurt. 1 green, 1 1/2 red, 1 yellow, 1/2 blue.
 
 


Post workout chocolate ShakeO with a tsp almond butter, can't even explain how yummy this is!

 

Most workouts had to be done without miss Harper, but she joined in for one.



Before and after- 21 Day Fix


To me, my weight has always just been a number. I rarely weigh myself, to me it is more about how I look and feel. I have never, and will never set a goal weight for myself.  And the only time I have felt bad about my weight was when I was pregnant, and my doctor told me I was gaining to much (whatever!!) :P lol And I am not one to deprive myself.  I have cut out a lot of bad things, but you will still find me enjoying a Pepsi or Coke occasionally, feeding my face with chocolate, and eating way too much pizza for a girl my size. I don't want to jeopardize what I have already achieved, so obviously I don't indulge on a daily basis, but I have always been a strong believer that anything is ok, in moderation. I do plan to adhere to the Fix way of eating as a lifestyle change, but I'm sure I will cheat from time to time :P
I started another fix on the 28th and so far I still haven't been eating enough or drinking enough water, but things have just been so busy..I will get on track and I look forward to seeing what results this will bring.. a tighter tushy maybe? :P LOL
Working on The Weekly Recap Vegas post, so that should be up soon!

Bye for now!
Erica.

No comments:

Post a Comment